Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 December 2011

Counting Down

With only 10 days to go before our little princess is born (yes, we decided to find out what sex the baby was going to be. It made shopping for her a lot easier) I am starting to reflect on a lot of what I have and haven't done over the years. Especially since that 3 months after bub arrives I'll be turning 37.

  I guess the biggest thing that I keep going back to is how a lot of people talk about getting their dream job and how they look forward to getting it. What do you do if, like me, you have already had your dream job but no longer have that anymore? For me, my dream job was to serve my country as a computer technician in the Australian Army. serving in the Australian Defence force had been my goal since I was a kid when my late grandfather would show me his service medals from his time in the Air Force. Even though my grandfather passed away when I was 5 and a half years old, serving in the Defence Force was my fream job. To me, enlisting was a way for me to in some way know something more about the grandfather that I barely knew. Unfortunately, due to my own lack of situational awareness during a physical training session, I ended up with a back injury that forced me to accept medical discharge 7 years after I first enlisted.

  Now, 3 and a half years after the end of my dream job I have gained full time employment in a reasonable if not mediocre job. It pays the bills and is pretty flexible. I am living with a wonderful partner who is carrying my baby and her eldest daughter. My personal life could not be any better as I have the loving family of my own that I have been wanting for years. I am also looking at furthering my education and starting a course in either IT or Business next year. Who knows, once the baby is all settled I may even join the Rural Fire Service or the State Emergancy Service so I can get out there and serve others once more.

  More to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment